During the course of his professional career, Mr. Melnick has prosecuted and defended against hundreds of civil and commercial disputes, and has extensive experience litigating claims of breach of contract, negligence, securities fraud, bad faith, defamation, employment discrimination, lender liability, breach of fiduciary duty and unfair trade practices. He also has prosecuted and defended against numerous actions alleging copyright and/or trademark infringement, patent infringement, unfair competition, defamation/libel, invasion of privacy, RICO violations, and violations of the First, Fourth, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.
Mr Melnick has additional experience prosecuting and defending against claims made and/or actions commenced before local, state and federal administrative and/or regulatory bodies, including the SEC and FINRA. He has further experience representing clients in connection with a wide variety of real estate, matrimonial and criminal matters. An accomplished appellate advocate, Mr. Melnick also has briefed and argued numerous appeals, both in state and federal court.
Apart from his considerable litigation experience, Mr. Melnick has substantial transactional experience, having represented both public and private companies in connection with dozens of commercial and securities transactions. A forceful and effective negotiator, Mr. Melnick also has negotiated agreements and/or contracts of all kinds, including, merger/acquisition, financing, equity purchase, asset purchase, real estate, employment, pre- and post-nuptial, separation, marital dissolution, partnership, brokerage, distribution, royalty and leasing agreements.
Mr. Melnick is admitted to practice before the Bars of the States of New York, Connecticut and New Jersey. In addition, he is admitted to practice before the Bars of the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of Connecticut and the District of New Jersey. Mr. Melnick is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Other Legal Experience:
- Associate, Phillips Nizer LLP, New York, New York, 1987-1989;
- Associate, Proskauer Rose LLP, New York, New York, 1989-1991;
- Associate, Pryor Cashman LLP, New York, New York, 1991-1994;
- Of Counsel, Tanner Propp LLP, New York, New York, 1998-2002.
- Clark University, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English Language and Literature/Letters;
- Trinity College, Master of Arts (M.A.), Economics;
- Temple University – James E. Beasley School of Law (J.D.).
Activities and Awards:
- Lead Member, Winning Team, 37th Annual National Moot Court Competition (1986);
- Recipient, American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy (1986);
- Recipient, Temple Law Alumni/ae Moot Court Award (1987);
- AV Preeminent® , Martindale-Hubbell;
- Top Lawyers in New York, The Legal Network, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.